Successful design entries will be:
- In-vessel (fully enclosed).
- Able to function outdoors year-round in Philadelphia climate.
- Able to function without connection to the electrical grid.
- Able to process urban food waste feedstock in a standard mix of “browns” and “greens.”
- Able to collect leachate for removal, or other means for preventing leachate from entering potential storm water runoff.
- 1-3 cubic yards with a reasonable footprint for an urban environment.
- Durable and easily maintained. Easy to load and unload.
- Appears clean and contained.
- Replicable using materials that can be easily found in the Philadelphia region.
- Emit little or no offensive odors.
- Able to accept 50-500 lbs of food waste/week.
- Able to process a full load of compost within three months, or as little time as possible. Extra points for quick processing.
- Total cost of materials $500 or below. Extra points may be given to entries significantly under $500.
- Extra points for processing animal protein within a reasonable time frame.
- Extra points for use of sustainable materials.